ALPHAMETIC PUZZLE SOLVER
[ Home ]
This solver resolves simple 3-word alphametic additions, type SEND + MORE =
To solve an alphametic, simply type it in the 3 input
boxes above and then press the button
"SOLVE". In fractions of a second, the program will list the
solutions to the problem.
Every time you submit an alphametic for solution, 3 different outcomes may occur: the problem
has a unique solution, several solutions or no solution.
1) Typing the alphametic CROSS + ROADS = DANGER and pressing the
"Solve" button you get the unique solution 96233 + 62513 = 158746,
indicating a valid alphametic.
2) Typing the alphametic PLANET + EARTH = ROTATES and pressing the
"Solve" button you get the message "No solutions" indicating that
this alphametic admits no solution, and therefore it is invalid.
3) Typing the alphametic BILL + GATES = GREAT and pressing the
"Solve" button you get a list of 74 solutions, indicating that this
alphametic admits multiple solutions, and therefore it is invalid.
This solver deciphers simple arithmetic additions only - so it doesn't
solve operations of subtraction, multiplication, division, power or
To judge the validity of an alphametic, it is important to know the
fundamental cryptarithmetic conventions:
- Each letter or symbol represents only one digit throughout the
- When letters are replaced by their digits, the resultant
arithmetical operation must be correct;
- The numerical base, unless specifically stated, is 10;
- Numbers must not begin with a zero;
- There must be only one solution to the problem.
[ My Cryptarithms ]
[ Crack a Puzzle Online! ]
[ The Sphinx Collection ]
[ A Primer on Cryptarithmetic ]
[ Alphametic Puzzle Solver ]
[ Alphametic Puzzle Generator ]
[ Books on Cryptarithmetic ]
[ Links to Cryptarithm Sites on the Web ]
[ Sphinx memorial ]
Copyright © 2002 by Jorge A C B Soares.
All rights reserved.
Last updated: September 29, 2015.