This solver deciphers alphametic additions, type SEND + MORE =
To solve an alphametic, simply type it (or paste it) in the input
box following the label "ALPHAMETIC" and then press the button
"SOLVE". In fractions of a second, the program will list the
solution(s) to the problem.
1) Typing the alphametic CROSS + ROADS = DANGER and pressing the
"Solve" button you get the unique solution 96233 + 62513 = 158746,
indicating a valid alphametic.
2) Typing the alphametic PLANET + EARTH = ROTATES and pressing the
"Solve" button you get the message "0 solution(s)" indicating that
this alphametic admits no solution, and therefore it is invalid.
3) Typing the alphametic BILL + GATES = GREAT and pressing the
"Solve" button you get a list of 74 solutions, indicating that this
alphametic admits multiple solutions, and therefore it is invalid.
Letters that contain accent marks or diacriticals such as acute,
cedilla, circumflex, grave, tilde, and umlaut are not accepted by
the program and should be adequated.
This solver deciphers arithmetic additions only - so it doesn't
solve operations of subtraction, multiplication, division, power or
To judge the validity of an alphametic, it is important to know the
fundamental cryptarithmetic conventions:
- Each letter or symbol represents only one digit throughout the
- When letters are replaced by their digits, the resultant
arithmetical operation must be correct;
- The numerical base, unless specifically stated, is 10;
- Numbers must not begin with a zero;
- There must be only one solution to the problem.
- The accent marks or diacriticals such as acute, cedilla, circumflex,
grave, tilde, and umlaut are ignored, unless specifically stated by the author.
This solver uses Java CryptArithmetic class
by J.J. Shie / Department of Computer Science and Information
Engineering (DCSIE) / National Chiao-Tung University, Taiwan.